Monday, November 8, 2010

Pasta with Pumpkin Alfredo

My sister found this recipe on "Our Best Bites" blog and loved it. I have made it several times, for different people and have gotten great feedback on it. I like it because it's different--when I think pumpkin I think pie, muffins, bread, not alfredo!! I think it's yummy and tastes like fall to me. Also, it's easy, easy, easy. If anyone tries it and likes it, let me know!

1 Package Fresh Pasta
1/2 batch Guiltless Alfredo Sauce(also posted below)
1/2 T real butter
1/4 C Finely minced onion
1/2 C canned pumpkin (try more if you love pumpkin, this is really mild)
2 T Chicken broth (vegetarians substitute milk or veg. broth)
1T chopped fresh sage (1t dried leaves)
1/2 T fresh thyme (1/2 t dried leaves)


Follow instructions on pasta to cook. In a separate sauce pan melt butter on medium heat. When melted, add onion. Make sure your onion is really finely diced. Since you have a nice smooth sauce, you don't want big chunks of onion, you just want little bits.

Saute until soft. Since they're small it should only take a couple of minutes. Add chicken broth and herbs. (I used fresh herbs, but I'm sure dry is great too, just go for leaves as opposed to ground spices so not to muddy the color)

Use a spatula to deglaze the pan a bit and get any cooked bits of onion off the bottom. Add pumpkin and whisk to combine. Add alfredo sauce, stir to combine, and cook until heated through. Depending on the alfredo you use you may need to adjust salt and pepper. Mine didn't need anything added.

Serve on top of prepared pasta and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of extra herbs. Pair it with a salad and breadsticks or a grilled chicken breast. YUM!

Rebecca Rasmussen

No comments:

Post a Comment